In Celebration of Feb 11, 1937
Ronda Hauben
2006-02-11 14:30:30 UTC
[Note: In honor of Feb 11, 1937, I want to repost something I originally
posted a year ago.]

The month of February is a special month for the pioneers of industrial
unions in the UAW. It was on February 11, 1937 that the Flint sit down
strikers marched out of the factories that they had occupied. They had
won an important victory. The auto company, General Motors, recognized
the workers right to organize a union. In honor of this victory February
11 is celebrated as White Shirt Day, the day that workers wear white
shirts.

In honor of this important anniversary in the UAW, here are some urls
that point to articles that describe the hard efforts both before,
during and after the Flint Sit down Strike to organize the UAW.

1) LEST WE FORGET: IN TRIBUTE TO THE PIONEERS
OF THE GREAT FLINT SIT-DOWN STRIKE

Remember when the `Sit Down' came?
And all the papers laid the claim
Against each Union Member's name?
"SUBVERSIVE!"
from the poem "Subversive"
by Floyd Hoke-Miller*

http://www.ais.org/~jrh/searchlight/lest.we.forget.txt

2) IN CELEBRATION: A PAST TO REMEMBER, A FUTURE TO MOLD
THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FLINT SIT-DOWN STRIKE
by Michael Hauben

The conditions in the auto factories were so awful that workers
had been trying to organize for many years. For example, the
speed of the assembly line was inhuman; if a worker wanted to
complain to the foreman, he would be shown the long line of unemployed
people outside of the plant and told if he didn't like the conditions
anyone out there would gladly replace him. The worker would be fired
if there was any indication he was involved in union activities. The
workers almost sruck against General Motores in 1934.

http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/michael/flint.txt

3) THE STORY OF THE SEARCHLIGHT: The Voice of the Chevrolet Worker

If the Labor press does not try to give
Labor the whole truth, where will
Labor get it? This, of course, raises
the question: Who is right about
Labor's destiny? Certainly we can't
rely on the capitalist press to tell
us, for it is obvious that their
interest is the opposite of Labor's
interest. But who, from the ranks of
Labor? Let them all speak -- that's
what Free Speech was intended for! Let
them all present their view in a forum.
From that the reader will have a fair
chance to decide.

from the column, "Only More
Democracy Can Save Democracy," The
Searchlight, Oct. 29, 1949.

http://www.ais.org/~jrh/searchlight/sl.1.txt
http://www.ais.org/~jrh/searchlight/sl.2.txt
http://www.ais.org/~jrh/searchlight/sl.3.txt
http://www.ais.org/~jrh/searchlight/sl.4.txt

There is also a printed version of this which included wonderful
cartoons by the UAW cartoonist Doc Wilson.

Ronda
ronda(at)panix.com

------------
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet
and the Internet
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/
A***@hotmail.com
2006-02-13 13:48:26 UTC
I'm not reading all that...
I drive an Acura, I'm glad I'm contributing to the downfall of the
UAWand GM.

Ahhh... the land of the semi-free!
Dave Simpson
2006-02-14 21:01:54 UTC
Most dummies are locked somewhere betwen 1950 and 1970. Only the most
stupid remain arrested in the New Deal years.